Estimated reading time: 1 minute(s)
Golden Milk or Turmeric Milk is a drink with a bright golden color and spicy flavor that has “almost” magical qualities. The recipe comes from India, from the tradition of Ayurveda (oriental medicine) and has been used for thousands of years to treat many diseases such as arthritis or colds.
The key is in the turmeric, a spice whose active component – curcumin – gives it excellent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. To benefit from all the properties of this root, a couple of details must be taken into account.
- For turmeric to release curcumin (source of benefits) it is necessary to activate it with a calorific spice, such as black pepper.
- For the body to absorb this spice, it is advisable to dissolve it in a healthy fat, such as coconut oil.
Do you want to know why they call it the Elixir of Youth? There are many studies that support these properties:
- Strengthens the immune system.
- Improves the skin.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties, so it is recommended to treat arthritis, irritable bowel, and other inflammatory processes.
- It purifies and favors the digestive processes.
- Being a powerful antioxidant, it is useful to prevent the effect of aging, cancer, Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- It prevents cardiovascular diseases.
- It helps with blood circulation.
- Takes care of the respiratory tract: so it is very useful to treat and prevent the flu, throat infections and colds this time of year.
- Regulates metabolism.
- Helps to lose weight.
When to have it
Well, the truth is that at any time of day it would be perfect. It is a perfect substitute for all those who abuse coffee, teas and stimulating drinks. It seems to me a perfect drink for the cold months as it is very comforting and helps warm the body.
- In the morning it gives energy: it stimulates motivation and the desire to improve ourselves.
- At night it supports a restful sleep: it stimulates the production of melatonin.
- 50 gr grated or powdered turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 30 ml water
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- syrup or honey (to taste)
- milk or vegetable drink (to taste)
- Soluble Cocoa (Hot Chocolate)
- Flax, chia, hemp seeds ...
- Oatmeal powder
Elaboración paso a paso
Mix the turmeric with the pepper very well, so that the curcumin is released.
Bring the water to a boil in a pot. Add it little by little together with the turmeric and the pepper until it forms a paste.
Add the coconut oil, and syrup or honey (to taste) and stir well with the help of a few rods.
Transfer the mixture to a glass jar and store in the refrigerator for a maximum of 2 weeks. This paste is also used to season other dishes. And it also holds up well for a week or 10 days in the fridge.
In a saucepan, heat the milk (substitute for oatmeal, almond ...).
Pour a teaspoon of turmeric paste into the cup.
Dissolve the paste well in the hot milk and if you want, add a touch of cinnamon or cocoa. I have used Natruly Soluble Cocoa (Hot Chocolate).
It is time to add the toppings you want: seeds, granola, oats ...
And it’s ready! Serve the "Golden Milk" in a couple of cups and enjoy all its flavor and magnificent properties.